What is AS2047 certification?
We often heard about AS2047 certification,and we know that is very important for Australian maket espacailly for the new house,but do you know what is it on earth?
What is AS 2047?
AS 2047 is the mandatory minimum specification for windows and doors used in Australia it includes compliance to the Glass Standard AS 1288.
The following tests are undertaken to verify product performance claims.
Which glazed windows and doors need to be tested to AS 2047?
- AS 4420.2 Deflection Test - positive and negative pressures are applied to the window to test the maximum deflection under wind load.
- AS 4420.3 Operating Force Test - to verify that an opening sash is capable of opening and closing without undue effort.
- AS 4420.4 Air Infiltration Test - the air leakage of a window is tested to ensure energy and acoustic efficiency.
- AS 4420.5 Water Penetration Resistance Test - this tests to ensure that there are no water leaks through the window into the building at the required pressure.
- AS 4420.6 Ultimate Strength Test - negative and positive pressures are applied to the window to ensure it does not fail at the required wind pressure.
All windows and glazed doors located in the external wall of a building are required to be tested to AS 2047.
Exceptions to this rule are:
There seems to be general confusion regarding the responsibilities for nominating wind ratings for sites. Who is actually responsible?
- Windows in other than the vertical plane
- Windows containing fixed louvres
- Windows constructed on site
- Architectural one off windows
- Second hand, re-used, recycled and replacement windows
- Heritage windows
- Glazed doors without a frame
- Do adjustable louvres with metal blades, or ones with the top half glass and the bottom half metal, need to comply with AS 2047?
Yes. All louvres on the exterior of a building must comply with AS 2047, notwithstanding the material(s) they are made from.
- How can a toilet window with permanent ventilation meet the waterproofing requirement?
A window with permanent ventilation cannot pass the AS 2047 tests and is not an AS 2047 window. This may be overcome by the use of a proprietary hooded permanent vent.
- A window has no compliance labelling to either AS 2047 or AS 1288 and it should, what should I do?
Don't use it. Send it back.
- How does a manufacturer certify an exemption?
For windows exempt from AS 2047, including heritage windows, AS 1288 would still apply and be certified.
- Can an architect and/or owner specify design requirements that do not meet AS 2047?
Generally, no, unless the requirements stipulated are more stringent than the standard specifies.
Both AS 2047 - Appendix C and the BCA advise:
- For housing the purchaser nominates the window ratings, the window exposure and whether the window is a corner window when ordering the window assemblies.
- For other residential buildings and commercial buildings the purchaser nominates the design wind pressure for the window assemblies when ordering the windows.
- The manufacturer of standard window assemblies should verify the window rating or design wind rating.
For more information,please contact: Omar Sui